Saturday, February 19, 2011

How this started

I heard from a blogger friend today, someone who's been quiet for a while now. Both she and her husband are out of work and life is tough, which is why she hasn't been blogging recently.

Her blog is bitingly funny, but focuses on the dark side of life. As she said, "Trouble tends to attract more of itself and I don't want to encourage it to stick around by paying attention to it."

Wise words. But it got me thinking, what if the opposite is also true? So I'm trying a little experiment. See what happens if I focus on the positive side of life. Does that also attract more of itself?

Let's find out...

The purpose of this blog is very simple: to celebrate each day things in my life that I should be thankful for. Not so much the big, sweeping, but rather vague things like health, happiness, and apple pie, but specific and tangible things that catch my attention each day.

So, here's a starter pack of random thoughts to get things going

A loving wife and two adorable children. Just had to get that out there first!

Having a job (in these uncertain times) and one that I can see is of immense worth to the public in this province. Had to get that out there too, given the inspiration for this blog.

Yes, all of the above drive me to distraction sometimes, but whenever I want to tear my hair out I must remember that I wouldn't be without any of them.

Living in a spectacularly beautiful part of the world on Vancouver Island, BC.

At the grocery store today, meeting the man from Island Farms who makes the Mint Moose Tracks ice cream I was picking off the shelf. This reminded me what a connected community this is.

Being able to make him feel good by expressing my happiness as a customer.

Also being able to suggest, to someone who might be able to make a difference, that it would be great if they could do a pistachio flavor.

Speaking on the phone to someone the other side of the country who just finished clearing ice from the gutter, while I gaze out at blue skies and bright February sunshine.

Oh, what the heck, let's throw in...apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment