Saturday, March 5, 2011

Service with a smile

When I do the grocery shopping each week, I am blessed that the friendly staff at the local Thrifty Foods make it such an enjoyable experience.

I've experienced many years of supermarket hell, with overcrowded aisles, long lines at the checkout, and staff who acknowledge you only enough to take your money while they chatter to each other about how drunk they got last night and who shagged who.

But the last few years have been a consistently pleasant experience. The lady today surprised me by suddenly saying "Thank you for making my day."

Why? She'd just scanned a box of Nanaimo bars, and it reminded her how she once asked her grandmother, "Have you ever tried Nanaimo bars?"

"Yes," her grandmother replied. "All of them!"

She lived in Nanaimo at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment